Cancer treatment is associated with weakening of your immune system hence making it difficult for your body to protect you against infections. Chemotherapy attacks cancer cell but also other types of cells in the body such as neutrophils, a type of white blood cells which protects you against infections hence leaving your body at increased risk of infections and easier for you to get sick. Any surgery poses risk of infection hence surgeries for cancer are not an exception. Some cancers such as lymphomas and leukemias may stop the bone marrow from producing white blood cells which fight infections.
This article is to highlight on measures you can take to reduce the risk of infection and stay healthy during cancer treatment.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, you can also use hand sanitizers. In general, practice of good hygiene is very important in reducing the risk of infections during cancer treatment.
- Take good care of the surgical incisions site if you have undergone surgery for cancer. Follow your doctor’s instructions strictly.
- Within reason limit your contact with others since they can spread germs and hence infection to you.
- Stay far away from family members who are sick including colds and flu since they can easily transfer the infection to you at this time of reduced immune system.
- Brush your teeth twice each day.
- Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly. Ensure the foods you eat are hygienically handled and cooked well.
- See your doctor whenever you have signs and symptoms of infection such as fever.
It is our hope that you stay healthy.
284 total views, 2 views today